This article is courtesy of our sponsors from NCSA Sports. Click here to see the full article via their blog.
What is the National Letter of Intent?
The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student athlete and an NLI member institution
How can I help support Recruiting-101?
- Use highlight-videos.com for a Hudl tuneup/new video
- E-Book: Guide to the Athletic Recruiting Process for Parents
- E-Book: How Juniors Can Get a Head Start on the Football Recruiting Process
- Complete Package: Junior Football All State Recruiting Package
- E-Book: Football Recruiting Position by Position Advice
- Complete Package: Senior Football All State Recruiting Package
- E-Book: Producing a Scholarship Worthy Highlight Video
- E-Book: How Seniors Can Finish the Football Recruiting Process Strong
· A prospective student athlete agrees to attend the institution full time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters
· The institution agrees to provide financial aid for one academic year
Penalty for breaking this contract
· Student athletes have to serve one year in residence at the next NLI member institution
· Sit out for one season of competition in all sports
What is Signing Day?
· Signing day is the day you actually sign the NLI
Does every division 1 and 2 athlete sign an NLI?
· Most people will say that every D1 and D2 athlete will sign an NLI, but this is not the case.
· It is not so much about being in a certain division as it is whether or not the school is a member of the NLI program.
· There are 600 schools who participate in the NLI program
· All D1 schools are involved with NLI except for service academies and Ivy league.
· A majority of D2 programs participate in the program
· No D3, NAIA, Prep schools or 2 year colleges participate
· For a complete list of schools who participate in the NLI, visit the NCAA’s website
Is the NLI binding if the coach leaves the institution?
· Yes, you sign the NLI with the institution, not with the coach
Can a coach rescind an NLI?
· When a school drafts up the NLI, they are committing the agreed upon funds for at least one year and cannot break that commitment, regardless of injury or any other reason
Can a college coach be present on signing day?
· No, a college coach cannot be present when you sign an NLI off-campus. NCAA rules say that it is strictly prohibited for a coach to be present at the signing of the NLI or any related activities. The rules also prohibit the coach delivering the NLI in person.
When is signing day?
· There is a early signing period for some sports
· The most recognized signing period nationally is the first Wednesday in February, which this year falls on the first
*Basketball (Early Period) Nov. 9, 2011 Nov. 16, 2011
* All Other Sports Not Listed (Early Period) Nov. 9, 2011 Nov. 16, 2011
* Football (Midyear JC Transfer) Dec. 21, 2011 Jan. 15, 2012
*Football (Regular Period) Feb. 1, 2012 April 1, 2012
* Field Hockey, Soccer, Track and Field, Cross Country, Men’s Water Polo Feb. 1, 2012 Aug. 1, 2012
* Basketball (Regular Period) April 11, 2012 May 16, 2012
* All Other Sports Not Listed (Regular Period) April 11, 2012 Aug. 1, 2012