For those that are lucky enough to go through the recruiting process and end up with a scholarship, you may think things are finally going your way as you have the opportunity to play Division I or II athletics. But while coaches may not lie, a school that has offered you may not always have a scholarship on the table for you.
A few years back a recruit wanted to commit to a school in the SEC. Instead of taking the call, they stop answering their phones and don’t call him back. The reason is because they had a bigger fish on the line that they thought they might get a commitment from.
He seemed to be a smart athlete because he knew something was up. My guess is that he tried calling multiple coaches and was getting the cold shoulder by the entire staff. What he ended up doing is somewhat questionable but he basically said Eff You to that school and committed to Big Ten program. As many articles have pointed out, he has never visited the that campus and had barely heard much from them weeks leading up to the commitment. So what do you do to avoid this?
How can I help support Recruiting-101?
- Use highlight-videos.com for a Hudl tuneup/new video
- E-Book: Guide to the Athletic Recruiting Process for Parents
- E-Book: How Juniors Can Get a Head Start on the Football Recruiting Process
- Complete Package: Junior Football All State Recruiting Package
- E-Book: Football Recruiting Position by Position Advice
- Complete Package: Senior Football All State Recruiting Package
- E-Book: Producing a Scholarship Worthy Highlight Video
- E-Book: How Seniors Can Finish the Football Recruiting Process Strong
First off, the thing about this story is that if an SEC school offers you a scholarship, then I am willing to bet a lot of money that other schools throughout the country would do the same. They are a dominant program and really only offer very stellar athlete who could fit into their program. With the success that they have had recently, why would they not?
Another situation that I am aware of where coaches will push back a verbal commitment from an athlete is when grades are in question. This was a mid level Big XII school and they had an athlete that they had offered wanting to verbal to them. The coaches at that school had a small number of full rides in that class so they kept pushing him back. If academics are a serious issue, then from the perspective of the coaches, I do believe it is alright on their end to do that. Athletes need to take care of business in the classroom and I have been preaching that for years.
But in the case of this player, what that school did was very shady. I have heard some other grumblings around the this program but college football as a whole does have a dark side to it (especially in the SEC). I believe that if you offer an athlete a scholarship, they have the right to commit until the coaches tell you that they took a commitment from another player at that same position. If they had pegged another top athlete as a wide receiver and this player knew this, then when another player committed, there would not be a scholarship left.
I know of very many programs who basically tell recruits that we need two wide receivers in this class and have offered four prospects. The first two to take the scholarships are the ones we will be signing. Once there are two commitments, then the coaches tell the other recruits that they will no longer be recruiting them as a scholarship athlete. These are done by respectable coaches who are honest the entire time and let recruits have a general idea of where they sit in the recruiting process.
For 90% plus of the scholarships that are offered, you can commit anytime as long as your academics are in order. For the other 10%, you never know. These coaches may not have lied to Louis but they certainly weren’t in a hurry to call him back and talk to him about committing. I don’t like it and unfortunately it is something you have to watch out for in recruiting.