College Coaches will deadline athletic scholarship offers and how it works

College Coaches will deadline athletic scholarship offersAs a college coach in the game of recruiting, it is important to have back up options the entire time. While in some ways this is unfair to recruits, it is the best way that these college coaches keep their high paying jobs. If they fail to bring in athletes at any level, chances are that they will eventually need to move on. You can only get lucky so many times with backup options.

If School A intends to brings in one quarterback in their next recruiting class, it is important that they bring in the one that is highest rated on their list of prospects. Lets say that you are a quarterback prospect looking at schools. School A, as mentioned before, has offered you a scholarship. You are still waiting to see what other schools offer you a full ride. Because School A needs to know as soon as possible, they do what is called deadlining your scholarship offer.

What deadlining a scholarship means is that you have until a certain date before they extend the scholarship to the next prospect on their list. The coaches do this for a few reasons. The first is because you are their top target who currently holds an offer and they want you to commit. They don’t want you to wait until just before Signing Day to pick another school. If they don’t deadline you, it may give another school more than enough time to extend an offer and end up getting you.

As a recruit, this puts you in a very difficult spot. Say for example that School A is your only scholarship offer. State University has been talking to you during the entire recruiting process and continues to tell you to be patient. State University won’t know if there is an offer for you until February 1st. School A has said that they will offer their second prospect in line on January 20th. What do you do?

The first option is to commit to School A before January 20th so that you make sure you get your scholarship offer. Because so many prospects are worried about losing out on a scholarship offer, many commit. What makes it worse is if the prospect only has one offer on the table. Being deadlined with only one scholarship is very difficult to turn down.

The second option is to let the school offer the second prospect, hope he doesn’t commit, and see what State University has to say. This is a very risky proposition because there is a chance that State University only ends up asking you to walk on to their program. If that happens, you will be paying your own to go to school and have thoughts of regret for not taking the scholarship.

The third, and less ethical option is to accept the offer from School A while telling State University that you are still serious about them. Recently there was a prospect I talked to who did this. Basically he accepted the offer from School A and ended up going on an offer to State University. While on that official, State University told him that they didn’t have any scholarship money for him. It was not a surprise when he remained committed to School A and ended up signing there.

But if State University had offered him a scholarship, would he have changed his mind? While I don’t know for sure, I would say yes. State University was closer to home, had more tradition, and continues to make it to the playoffs at their level. While he sounded happy with School A, State University may have been the place he wanted to go if given the opportunity.

I however don’t recommend the third option. If State University does end up offering you, then that leaves School A in a huge bind for their recruiting class. If you take the bigger offer from State University, that means School A has to scramble in order to find a recruit that is suitable for their needs. At such a late moment, it makes it very tough.

What you should do is look long and hard at School A. Do you feel you could fit there? Do they have what you want to study? How are their athletics? If you are confident with how you feel at the school, then you may want to just end the recruiting process. Even if you grew up dreaming of playing for State University, do you really want to be considered a back up option who got an offer at the last minute?

If you are going to wait, you have to realize that there is a solid chance that the scholarship from School A will no longer be there. If you are happy with your options, and the possibility to walk on, then you should take your chances. What you need to worry about is the worst case scenario. If you can live with that, then you will be happy that you took your chances by waiting. However, passing up a scholarship is not an easy thing to do at any level.

You may also like...